Legendary Sparta 10-hour private tour begins; In Greek mythology, Lacedaemon, a son of Zeus, founded the city known as Sparta. He named the region Lacedaemonia or Laconia after himself and named the city after his wife. Sparta was a small, yet influential city-state that had a significant impact on the Greeks. The history of Sparta, from its humble beginnings to its rise as a powerful military state, is chronicled in The History.
Spartans were exceptional citizen soldiers, widely regarded as the best and most intimidating fighters in Greece. Notable battles in which Spartans participated include Thermopylae and Plataea in the early 5th century BC, where they distinguished themselves.
[Sparta was everywhere admired and nowhere imitated.], written by the Athenian philosopher Xenophon
Highlights of the Legendary Sparta 10-hour private tour
- The famous Corinth canal
- Modern and ancient Sparta
- 10 h with an experienced English-speaking tour driver
- Visit the Acropolis of Sparta, the theater, the archaeological site
- The Statue of Leonidas
- The Byzantine Mystras
Legendary Sparta 10-hour private tour
Pass By: In the morning, we will embark on a scenic drive through Athens and its enchanting surroundings. As we journey, we will encounter the town of Megara, renowned as the birthplace of King Bizas, the namesake of the illustrious city of Byzantium, later known as Constantinople. We will also pass through Elefsina, a town steeped in history, famous for its ancient Elefsinia mysteries. Along the way, we will encounter various charming resort towns, such as Ag. Theodoroi and Kineta, before arriving at the renowned Corinth Canal, a testament to human ingenuity and engineering prowess.
- Duration: 60 Minutes
Stop At Corinth Canal
Get ready for a captivating journey through time to Corinth canal! Join us on an inspiring day trip to Argolis, one of Greece’s most fascinating provinces. As you travel along the seaside, savor the beauty of coastal villages and the historic island of Salamis, once the site of a legendary naval battle between the Athenians and Persians. Our first pause takes us to the Corinth Canal, a marvel of engineering completed in 1894.
This majestic waterway divides the Peloponnese Peninsula from the rest of Greece, linking the Saronic Gulf to the Corinthian Sea. Take a moment to stretch your legs, stroll across the pedestrian bridge, and gaze upon the canal’s grandeur. If you’re feeling adventurous, bungee jumping is available on certain days, offering a thrilling experience above the water.
- Duration: 20 Minutes
- Admission Ticket Free
Pass By: Let’s proceed with our exclusive tour, traversing the striking vistas of western Peloponnese, heading towards the historic city of Sparta.
- Duration: 120 Minutes
Stop At Sparta;
There are 4 top things to do in Sparta; 1. See the statue of King Leonidas, 2. Visit the archaeological site of ancient Sparta, 3. Visit the Greek olive and olive oil museum or the archaeological museum, 4. Visit the famous Mystras
Begin your journey by visiting the impressive King Leonidas statue located just north of the archaeological site of Sparta. The legendary king of ancient Sparta, King Leonidas is remembered for his heroic stand at the Battle of Thermopylae in the 5th century BC (depicted in the movie “300”). Right beside the statue, you’ll find the hill of the acropolis. Explore the ruins of the 2nd-century BC theater, once one of the largest in Ancient Greece. It’s unfortunate that many stones from the site were later reused in other construction projects, leaving the theater in its current state.
Explore the remnants of the once-great Spartan legacy by visiting this statue. Capture the moment with photos. Visit the archaeological site of Sparta Lakedemonia, which played a significant role in Greek history, second only to Athens. Don’t miss the Sparta Archaeological Museum, which houses numerous ancient artifacts. Open daily (except Tuesdays) from 8:30 am to 3 pm. Alternatively, immerse yourself in the world of olive oil, a cornerstone of Greek culture, at the Greek Olive and Olive Oil Museum. Discover the history, production, and significance of this ubiquitous ingredient. Open Wednesday to Monday from 10 am to 6 pm.
- Duration: 110 Minutes
- Admission Ticket Not Included
Time for Lunch
Free time for lunch (not included). During the lunch break, you can experience the flavors of traditional Lakonian cuisine at one of Sparta’s local favorite eateries. Since Sparta is a compact city, these local hotspots are limited in number, offering a unique dining opportunity.
- Duration: 45 Minutes
Pass By: After lunch, take a 15-minute drive from Sparta to Mystras.
- Duration: 15 Minutes
Stop At Mystras
Explore Mystras, also known as the “Wonder of the Morea”, and Sparta. Witness the stunning monasteries within the castle and marvel at breathtaking views of Sparta. These Byzantine ruins are highly significant and offer a glimpse into the empire’s history. Discover Byzantine churches, an impressive fortress, and picturesque hiking trails. Mystras stands as the region’s top attraction. It welcomes visitors daily from 8 am to 8 pm.
- Duration: 60 Minutes
- Admission Ticket Not Included
Notice: Sparta offers plenty of activities and attractions despite the common misconception that there is not much to see. Rather than flocks of tourists, the city delivers a rich historical experience with fewer crowds. From excursions to remarkable dining options, plenty of things will keep you entertained in Sparta. By choosing Sparta over popular tourist destinations like Athens, you’ll gain a deeper understanding of the history of Greece without the usual crowds, making your trip to Greece truly rewarding.
Pass By: Following the exploration of Mystras, we will retrace our route back to Athens, arriving at your hotel late in the evening.
- Duration: 170 Minutes
DEPARTURE | RETURN
- Transfer offerd; Travelers pickup/drop off is offered.
- Pick up from; We will pick you up from any hotel or apartment in Athens center and Piraeus cruise port at the cruise ship pier!
- Info needed When booking make sure to include the address of your accommodation, or the name of the cruise line and the cruise ship!
- Pick up time; We propose to pick you up at 8 am in order to avoid traffic and crowed at the Acropolis.
- Drop off; We will drop you off at the same place we have picked you up or at any hotel in Athens center or cruise ship pier!
INCLUDED | EXCLUDED
What is Included
- Professional driver with good knowledge of history and culture in Greece
- Transport by air-conditioned vehicle appropriate for the size of your group
- Accommodation is based according to availability (for multiple day tours only)
- Flexible pick up time on request (proposed 08:00AM)
- Free Pick-up from and return to your hotel
- Free Pick-up & drop off from Piraeus cruise port
- Athens Airport transfers or pickup locations outside Athens: arranged on request with surcharge
- First class transport: By Mercedes E-Class or similar; Mercedes minivan or Mercedes minibus according to the size of your party. All new models come with full leather and A/C.
- Road tolls and local taxes
- Our terminal: Leof. Andrea Siggrou 37, 117 43 Athina, Greece.
- Official licensed tour guide for guiding in archeological sites. Available on request with surcharge
- The private tour is 100% exclusive for your party
What is Excluded
- Entrance fees to the archaeological sites and museum
- Wine tasting fee (wine tours)
- Athens Airport transfer: arranged on request with a surcharge
- Gratuities (optional)
- Food and beverage
- Your private chauffeur/guide will discuss a program best suited to your interest and mobile abilities. Option for a professional tour guide with a state license at an extra cost.
- Private tour - Shore Excursion
- Activity level: Moderate
- Departures: Daily
- Due to the high complexity and uncertainty of contemporary transportation, as well as unexpected situations, the planned itinerary can change at any moment and our choices may be affected by any social, economic or environmental phenomena!
- Best Greece Tours is proud to be the first in the industry to offer Guaranteed Departures . A guaranteed departure means; There is no minimum number of bookings required on a trip to run and that the tour will definitely operate on the day it is scheduled and will not be cancelled. All guaranteed departures will run except in the event of a natural disaster or other similarly disruptive event that is beyond our control. Our current collection of tours can take you to exciting places in Athens and around the world.
How will we use the information you wll give us about you!
- Passenger Detail; We need basic contact details so we can send appropriate booking information to you as well as make sure the supplier can contact you should they need to.
- Flight Details; We will need to know your exact travel details so they can track flight time as well as make sure they get you to and from your destination with no delay.
- Accommodation Details; We need to know your pick-up and drop-off address to ensure the right price and that we know exactly where to meet you or take you.
- Payment Details; We will pass your payment details to our secure payment provider, but we do not see or store any of these details on our website payment details.
- Dress: religious and memorial sites: shoulders and knee must be covered.
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- A voucher will be emailed to you with our contact numbers and all necessary information for your tour.
- This is your ticket and proof of purchase. On the day of tour please present a paper voucher in order to redeem your tour/activity.
- Itinerary (break-down)Due to the high complexity and uncertainty of contemporary transportation, as well as unexpected situations, the planned itinerary can change at any moment and our choices may be affected by any social, economic or environmental phenomena!
Persons with Disabilities
- Due to uneven surfaces, certain sites are not recommended for persons with walking disabilities or using a wheelchair. Such sites are the Acropolis, the Temple of Poseidon at Sounion, Mycenae, Delphi and Meteora.
- In all cases, we recommend comfortable flat-solid walking shoes, sunglasses and sunscreen.
- For guests who are full-time wheelchair users a ramp vehicle will be needed. Guests may remain in their wheelchair or scooter for the duration of the excursion. Wheelchair or scooter dimensions are required in order to confirm the correct vehicle!
- Wheelchair or small scooter folding type only. (Please note that disabled passengers must be able to board the vehicle independently or with the assistance of those in their party.)
Opening hours & Admission fees
- Opening Hours: Summer April 1st to October 31st from 08:00 AM to 07:30 PM
- Winter: November 1st to March 31st from 08:30 AM to 03:00 PM
- Free admission fees: Children under 18 & Students from E.U.
- Reduced admission fees: Citizens of the E.U. aged over 65 & Students from countries outside the E.U.
Free admission days
- March 6: In memory of deceased Minister of Tourism & visionary Melina Mercouri
- June 5: Environment international day
- April 18 : International monuments day
- May 18: International museums day
- September 27: International tourism day
- The last weekend of September annually (European Heritage Days)
- National Holidays
- Sundays in the period between 1 November and 31 March
- The first Sunday of every month, except for July, August and September
- NOTE: If the first Sunday is a holiday then the second is the free admission day
Holidays in Greece
- January 1: closed
- January 6: 08:30 AM - 03:00 PM
- Shrove Monday: 08:30AM - 03:00 PM
- March 25: closed
- Good Friday: 12:00 PM - 03:00 PM
- Holy Saturday: 08:30 AM - 03:00 PM
- Easter Sunday: closed
- Easter Monday: 08:30 AM - 03:00 PM
- May 1: closed
- Holy Spirit Day: 08:30 AM - 03:00 PM
- 15 August 15: 08:30 AM - 03:00 PM
- October 28: 08:30 AM- 03:00 PM
- December 25 & 26: closed
- Sedans; Within 24 hrs of travel 100% fee will apply. Outside of 24 hrs a €2 per person cancellation charge will apply.
- Minivan; Within 36 hrs of travel 100% fee will apply. Outside of 36 hrs a €2 per person cancellation charge will apply.
- Minibus 10-20 seats; Within 96 hrs of travel 100% fee will apply. Outside of 96 hrs a €2 per person cancellation charge will apply.
- For all vehicles; No show mean, no refund