This morning visit to Cape Sounion and the temple of Poseidon is an excellent day trip option that allows visitors to enjoy lunch (not included) at the nearby taverns and a swim in the afternoon. All though it is the same tour as the Cape Sounion sunset, the coastal scenery is an excellent opportunity to enjoy spectacular views of the countless coves and beaches on the way!
“Take in Greece’s coastal beauty on a guided tour to Cape Sounion and marvel at the Temple of Poseidon as the sun sets over the Aegean Sea. Drive along the coastline, past beautiful sandy beaches and countless coves, meandering your way to what is undoubtedly the crowning glory of the tour. Poseidon’s Temple imposed atop the hill with panoramic views of the sea that mesmerize and stimulate your senses. Taking a walk around the temple will also reveal its hidden secrets, such as engravings on rocks from eager travelers such as Lord Byron who would mark their visit as in those times, traveling was a privilege of the very few. Seeing these engravings amidst the reflections of the fading sun between the temple’s columns and the tranquil scenery around you there’s no place you’d rather be. Enter the archaeological site upon your arrival while your tour driver will give you detailed information about the Sounion and the temple. Best Greece tours driver will immerse you in the legendary myths of a time long ago.
The Athenian hero Theseus
Hear the story of the Cretan Minotaur and Athenian hero Theseus, who valiantly returned to Sounio to greet his father Aegeus of whom the Aegean Sea was named after and one of the great tragedies of mythical Greece. Or perhaps about King Menelaus and his ship who stopped off upon his return from Troy – all in a beautiful setting to bring each story to life. Following on from ancient history, your driver-guide will also tell you about the surrounding area including Sounio as the source and wealth and power that came from the silver mines of nearby Lavrio. This came as a result of the ancient Greeks studying the energetic properties of the land before building the temple where it is today. One thing is for sure, be sure to take ample time to enjoy the experience. Words cannot describe the therapeutic benefits of such a place, bringing back nostalgia for many and opening a new path into an ancient world for those who are witnessing it for the first time. Cape Sounio brings a whole new meaning to what makes a perfect sunset and one that cannot be forgotten.
Highlights of the Delightful Athens Riviera & Sounion 4-Hour Private Tour
- Visit the famous Athens sunset at Cape Sounion
- English-speaking tour driver-guide
- Picturesque Athens riviera and its beauty of the scenery
- On the way to Sounion watch the reflections of the sun on the waters
- The impressive Poseidon’s Temple at Cape Sounion
- Watch the amazing sunset
The day is devoted to enjoying the most impressive sunset in the world!
Start: Pick up from your hotel in Athens, address in Athens, or cruise ship pier at Piraeus port. Pass by several areas on the way to the Acropolis depending on where you’ll start!
- Duration: 15 Minutes average
Pass By: The suburb in South Athens, Glyfada, Voula, Vouliagmeni, Varkiza, Saronida, Anacissos, Fokaia.
- Duration 80 minutes
Stop At The Temple of Poseidon;
Poseidon, was the brother of Zeus, God of the Sea. It is no wonder that Poseidon was highly revered and worshiped in a country with over 15.000 km of coastline. Ancient Greeks and especially seamen believed storms were signs of Poseidon’s wrath and therefore the temple at Cape Sounion was a sacred place. Therefore sailors and the general population came to offer animal sacrifices and other gifts to appease him and find favor. The temple of Poseidon was built on the ruins of a temple dating from the Archaic period. It is perched above the sea at a height of almost 60 meters (200 ft). The temple of Poseidon at Sounion was constructed in 444–440 BC, and it was built according to a hexastyle plan with a front portico with six Doric columns. The temple was rectangular, with a colonnade on all four sides, and had a frieze depicting the tale of Theseus and the Battle of Centaurs. Out of the 16 columns, there are 15 of them which are still standing today. This was during the ascendancy of the Athenian statesman Pericles, who also rebuilt the Parthenon in Athens and is one of the major monuments of the Golden Age of Athens. Poseidon’s temple like many other temples in Greece is intertwined with bits of legend. The temple was constructed of marble from the valley of Agrilesa, approx four kilometers north of the Sounio Cape.
The architect of Poseidon’s temple
Iktinos wast the architect of Poseidon’s temple, the same architect who built the Temple of Hephaestus in the Ancient Agora of Athens. He built the 16 columns at the Temple of Poseidon in a way that ensured they would stand the test of time and resist the harshness of the environment and made the Doric columns more slender at the top so they would look taller. Walk around the temple, find a spot on a rock, and renew your energy flows. Admire the remains of the temple Athena Souniada. Apart from the unique location and the archaeological interest, Cape Sounio is also known for its breathtaking sunset and view of the Greek Islands. It is considered one of the most romantic places in Greece. Words cannot describe a place that calms you down, feel nostalgic, and makes you enjoy the sunset like never before. Sounion Temple is literally a battery charger. It’s a place that makes you reminisce the splendor of Ancient Greece! Take pictures of the Temple of Poseidon and capture magnificent photos with the sky dyed in deep yellow, orange, and red colors, creating the most beautiful canvas!
- Duration: 60 Minutes
- Admission Ticket Not Included
Pass By: Drive back to Athens, we’ll drop you off at the same place we’ve picked you up!
- Duration: 100 Minutes”
DEPARTURE | RETURN
- Transfer offerd; Travelers pickup/drop off is offered.
- Pick up from; We will pick you up from any hotel or apartment in Athens center and Piraeus cruise port at the cruise ship pier!
- Info needed When booking make sure to include the address of your accommodation, or the name of the cruise line and the cruise ship!
- Pick up time; We propose to pick you up at 8 am in order to avoid traffic and crowed at the Acropolis.
- Drop off; We will drop you off at the same place we have picked you up or at any hotel in Athens center or cruise ship pier!
INCLUDED | EXCLUDED
What is Included
- Professional driver with good knowledge of history and culture in Greece
- Transport by air-conditioned vehicle appropriate for the size of your group
- Accommodation is based according to availability (for multiple day tours only)
- Flexible pick up time on request (proposed 08:00AM)
- Free Pick-up from and return to your hotel
- Free Pick-up & drop off from Piraeus cruise port
- Athens Airport transfers or pickup locations outside Athens: arranged on request with surcharge
- First class transport: By Mercedes E-Class or similar; Mercedes minivan or Mercedes minibus according to the size of your party. All new models come with full leather and A/C.
- Road tolls and local taxes
- Our terminal: Leof. Andrea Siggrou 37, 117 43 Athina, Greece.
- Official licensed tour guide for guiding in archeological sites. Available on request with surcharge
- The private tour is 100% exclusive for your party
What is Excluded
- Entrance fees to the archaeological sites and museum
- Wine tasting fee (wine tours)
- Athens Airport transfer: arranged on request with a surcharge
- Gratuities (optional)
- Food and beverage
- Your private chauffeur/guide will discuss a program best suited to your interest and mobile abilities. Option for a professional tour guide with a state license at an extra cost.
- Private tour - Shore Excursion
- Activity level: Moderate
- Departures: Daily
- Due to the high complexity and uncertainty of contemporary transportation, as well as unexpected situations, the planned itinerary can change at any moment and our choices may be affected by any social, economic or environmental phenomena!
- Best Greece Tours is proud to be the first in the industry to offer Guaranteed Departures . A guaranteed departure means; There is no minimum number of bookings required on a trip to run and that the tour will definitely operate on the day it is scheduled and will not be cancelled. All guaranteed departures will run except in the event of a natural disaster or other similarly disruptive event that is beyond our control. Our current collection of tours can take you to exciting places in Athens and around the world.
How will we use the information you wll give us about you!
- Passenger Detail; We need basic contact details so we can send appropriate booking information to you as well as make sure the supplier can contact you should they need to.
- Flight Details; We will need to know your exact travel details so they can track flight time as well as make sure they get you to and from your destination with no delay.
- Accommodation Details; We need to know your pick-up and drop-off address to ensure the right price and that we know exactly where to meet you or take you.
- Payment Details; We will pass your payment details to our secure payment provider, but we do not see or store any of these details on our website payment details.
- Dress: religious and memorial sites: shoulders and knee must be covered.
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- A voucher will be emailed to you with our contact numbers and all necessary information for your tour.
- This is your ticket and proof of purchase. On the day of tour please present a paper voucher in order to redeem your tour/activity.
- Itinerary (break-down)Due to the high complexity and uncertainty of contemporary transportation, as well as unexpected situations, the planned itinerary can change at any moment and our choices may be affected by any social, economic or environmental phenomena!
Persons with Disabilities
- Due to uneven surfaces, certain sites are not recommended for persons with walking disabilities or using a wheelchair. Such sites are the Acropolis, the Temple of Poseidon at Sounion, Mycenae, Delphi and Meteora.
- In all cases, we recommend comfortable flat-solid walking shoes, sunglasses and sunscreen.
- For guests who are full-time wheelchair users a ramp vehicle will be needed. Guests may remain in their wheelchair or scooter for the duration of the excursion. Wheelchair or scooter dimensions are required in order to confirm the correct vehicle!
- Wheelchair or small scooter folding type only. (Please note that disabled passengers must be able to board the vehicle independently or with the assistance of those in their party.)
Opening hours & Admission fees
- Opening Hours: Summer April 1st to October 31st from 08:00 AM to 07:30 PM
- Winter: November 1st to March 31st from 08:30 AM to 03:00 PM
- Free admission fees: Children under 18 & Students from E.U.
- Reduced admission fees: Citizens of the E.U. aged over 65 & Students from countries outside the E.U.
Free admission days
- March 6: In memory of deceased Minister of Tourism & visionary Melina Mercouri
- June 5: Environment international day
- April 18 : International monuments day
- May 18: International museums day
- September 27: International tourism day
- The last weekend of September annually (European Heritage Days)
- National Holidays
- Sundays in the period between 1 November and 31 March
- The first Sunday of every month, except for July, August and September
- NOTE: If the first Sunday is a holiday then the second is the free admission day
Holidays in Greece
- January 1: closed
- January 6: 08:30 AM - 03:00 PM
- Shrove Monday: 08:30AM - 03:00 PM
- March 25: closed
- Good Friday: 12:00 PM - 03:00 PM
- Holy Saturday: 08:30 AM - 03:00 PM
- Easter Sunday: closed
- Easter Monday: 08:30 AM - 03:00 PM
- May 1: closed
- Holy Spirit Day: 08:30 AM - 03:00 PM
- 15 August 15: 08:30 AM - 03:00 PM
- October 28: 08:30 AM- 03:00 PM
- December 25 & 26: closed
- Sedans; Within 24 hrs of travel 100% fee will apply. Outside of 24 hrs a €2 per person cancellation charge will apply.
- Minivan; Within 36 hrs of travel 100% fee will apply. Outside of 36 hrs a €2 per person cancellation charge will apply.
- Minibus 10-20 seats; Within 96 hrs of travel 100% fee will apply. Outside of 96 hrs a €2 per person cancellation charge will apply.
- For all vehicles; No show mean, no refund