Explore the Meteora thrones, discover the best time at the extraordinary rock formations of the Meteora region witch would almost be an inaccessible sandstone peak, and visit one of the most amazing places in Greece. Monks and nuns settled on these ‘columns of the air and sky’ from the 11th century onwards. Meteora; The word itself vocals and aptly describes these remarkable Greek Orthodox monasteries. Meteora in Greek means “suspended in the air”! 24 of these monasteries were built, despite incredible difficulties, at the time of the great revival of the eremetic ideal in the 15th century.
Highlights of the breathtaking Meteora in a 12-hour private day tour
- A 12-hour private tour through a scenic drive in Central Greece
- The stunning Meteora high rocks and it’s Byzantine Monasteries, the heritage of UNESCO
- Homemade typical Greek lunch at Kalambaka
- Professional English-speaking tour driver
- From the James Bond film “for your eyes only” Holy Trinity monastery
Pass By: Your Best Greece Tours private driver will pick you up from your Athens hotel early in the morning travel through Central Greece, crossing the Thessalian plain, the granary of Greece, to reach Kalambaka and Meteora after 4-1/2 hours drive.
- Duration: 270 Minutes
Stop At: The Meteora monasteries in 1988 have been included in the UNESCO World Heritage List and the Meteora-Antichassia area is part of the Natura 2000 network hosting some rare species of birds and flowers. Centuries ago, on these gigantic rocks with the breathtaking landscape reaching heights of more than 600 meters, it was formed one of the most important monastic communities of Greece. The Meteora rock formation is hosting one of the largest and most precipitously built complexes of Eastern Orthodox monasteries, second in importance only to Mount Athos. Today there are only six monasteries built on immense natural pillars and hill-like rounded boulders that dominate the local area with a small number of monks or nuns who reside on Meteora.
The 6 monasteries of Meteora
- The Monastery of Great Meteoron. It is the biggest of the Meteorite monasteries.
- The Monastery of Varlaam is the second, after the Great Meteoro, big in size monastery.
- The Monastery of Rousanou. It is dedicated to ‘The Transfiguration’ but honored to Saint Barbara.
- The Monastery of St. Nicholas Anapausas. It is the first to meet on our way from Kastraki to Meteora.
- The Monastery of St. Stephen. It is one of the most attainable as we don’t have to cope with innumerable stairs to reach it.
- The Monastery of Holy Trinity is very difficult to reach. The visitor has to cross the valley and continue high up through the rock before we arrive outside the entrance.
In between or after our visit you will have free time for lunch (not included) in Kalambaka in a traditional homemade Greek food restaurant by the feet of the high rocks. Meteora is a great place to enjoy a spectacular landscape and to experience byzantine monasteries perched on top of steep rocks that house priceless artifacts and wall paintings!
- Duration: 180 Minutes
- Admission Ticket Not Included
Pass By: After lunch, will start traveling back to Athens using the same way back. Late arrival at your Athens hotel.
- Duration: 270 Minutes
More Private Day Tours In Greece Here…
DEPARTURE | RETURN
- Transfer offerd; Travelers pickup/drop off is offered.
- Pick up from; We will pick you up from any hotel or apartment in Athens center and Piraeus cruise port at the cruise ship pier!
- Info needed When booking make sure to include the address of your accommodation, or the name of the cruise line and the cruise ship!
- Pick up time; We propose to pick you up at 8 am in order to avoid traffic and crowed at the Acropolis.
- Drop off; We will drop you off at the same place we have picked you up or at any hotel in Athens center or cruise ship pier!
INCLUDED | EXCLUDED
What is Included
- Professional driver with good knowledge of history and culture in Greece
- Transport by air-conditioned vehicle appropriate for the size of your group
- Accommodation is based according to availability (for multiple day tours only)
- Flexible pick up time on request (proposed 08:00AM)
- Free Pick-up from and return to your hotel
- Free Pick-up & drop off from Piraeus cruise port
- Athens Airport transfers or pickup locations outside Athens: arranged on request with surcharge
- First class transport: By Mercedes E-Class or similar; Mercedes minivan or Mercedes minibus according to the size of your party. All new models come with full leather and A/C.
- Road tolls and local taxes
- Our terminal: Leof. Andrea Siggrou 37, 117 43 Athina, Greece.
- Official licensed tour guide for guiding in archeological sites. Available on request with surcharge
- The private tour is 100% exclusive for your party
- Entrance fees to the archaeological sites and museum
- Wine tasting fee (wine tours)
- Athens Airport transfer: arranged on request with a surcharge
- Gratuities (optional)
- Food and beverage
- Your private chauffeur/guide will discuss a program best suited to your interest and mobile abilities. Option for a professional tour guide with a state license at an extra cost.
- Private tour - Shore Excursion
- Activity level: Moderate
- Departures: Daily
- Due to the high complexity and uncertainty of contemporary transportation, as well as unexpected situations, the planned itinerary can change at any moment and our choices may be affected by any social, economic or environmental phenomena!
- Best Greece Tours is proud to be the first in the industry to offer Guaranteed Departures . A guaranteed departure means; There is no minimum number of bookings required on a trip to run and that the tour will definitely operate on the day it is scheduled and will not be cancelled. All guaranteed departures will run except in the event of a natural disaster or other similarly disruptive event that is beyond our control. Our current collection of tours can take you to exciting places in Athens and around the world.
- Passenger Detail; We need basic contact details so we can send appropriate booking information to you as well as make sure the supplier can contact you should they need to.
- Flight Details; We will need to know your exact travel details so they can track flight time as well as make sure they get you to and from your destination with no delay.
- Accommodation Details; We need to know your pick-up and drop-off address to ensure the right price and that we know exactly where to meet you or take you.
- Payment Details; We will pass your payment details to our secure payment provider, but we do not see or store any of these details on our website payment details.
- Dress: religious and memorial sites: shoulders and knee must be covered.
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- A voucher will be emailed to you with our contact numbers and all necessary information for your tour.
- This is your ticket and proof of purchase. On the day of tour please present a paper voucher in order to redeem your tour/activity.
- Itinerary (break-down)Due to the high complexity and uncertainty of contemporary transportation, as well as unexpected situations, the planned itinerary can change at any moment and our choices may be affected by any social, economic or environmental phenomena!
- Due to uneven surfaces, certain sites are not recommended for persons with walking disabilities or using a wheelchair. Such sites are the Acropolis, the Temple of Poseidon at Sounion, Mycenae, Delphi and Meteora.
- In all cases, we recommend comfortable flat-solid walking shoes, sunglasses and sunscreen.
- For guests who are full-time wheelchair users a ramp vehicle will be needed. Guests may remain in their wheelchair or scooter for the duration of the excursion. Wheelchair or scooter dimensions are required in order to confirm the correct vehicle!
- Wheelchair or small scooter folding type only. (Please note that disabled passengers must be able to board the vehicle independently or with the assistance of those in their party.)
- Opening Hours: Summer April 1st to October 31st from 08:00 AM to 07:30 PM
- Winter: November 1st to March 31st from 08:30 AM to 03:00 PM
- Free admission fees: Children under 18 & Students from E.U.
- Reduced admission fees: Citizens of the E.U. aged over 65 & Students from countries outside the E.U.
- March 6: In memory of deceased Minister of Tourism & visionary Melina Mercouri
- June 5: Environment international day
- April 18 : International monuments day
- May 18: International museums day
- September 27: International tourism day
- The last weekend of September annually (European Heritage Days)
- National Holidays
- Sundays in the period between 1 November and 31 March
- The first Sunday of every month, except for July, August and September
- NOTE: If the first Sunday is a holiday then the second is the free admission day
- January 1: closed
- January 6: 08:30 AM - 03:00 PM
- Shrove Monday: 08:30AM - 03:00 PM
- March 25: closed
- Good Friday: 12:00 PM - 03:00 PM
- Holy Saturday: 08:30 AM - 03:00 PM
- Easter Sunday: closed
- Easter Monday: 08:30 AM - 03:00 PM
- May 1: closed
- Holy Spirit Day: 08:30 AM - 03:00 PM
- 15 August 15: 08:30 AM - 03:00 PM
- October 28: 08:30 AM- 03:00 PM
- December 25 & 26: closed
- Sedans; Within 24 hrs of travel 100% fee will apply. Outside of 24 hrs a €2 per person cancellation charge will apply.
- Minivan; Within 36 hrs of travel 100% fee will apply. Outside of 36 hrs a €2 per person cancellation charge will apply.
- Minibus 10-20 seats; Within 96 hrs of travel 100% fee will apply. Outside of 96 hrs a €2 per person cancellation charge will apply.
- For all vehicles; No show mean, no refund